Chermoula Marinade Recipe - Moroccan Version
Chermoula is Moroccan blend of herbs and spices which can be used both as a marinade and as a condiment to season salads, stews, tagines and grilled foods. It can be brushed over meat, offal, chicken, fish, and vegetables or added as a flavor enhancer to fillings for stuffed fish, stuffed breads, and stuffed poultry, ground and roasted meat of all sorts.The yield and serving of this recipe is approximate considering the difference between manual and mechanical process of chopping or grinding. With these quantities and with a pasty but coarse and runny texture, I usually have the equivalent of a bonne maman jar nearly full.
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Servings: 1 cup
- 3 cups fresh coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped,
- 1 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped, leaves only
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika, powder or paste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water optional not needed if using a pestle and mortar
Optional ingredients depending on recipes
Using a Food Processor
Place the herbs and the rest of the ingredients in the blend. Give a few pulses until you are satisfied with the texture. To help with blending, you can thin the mixture with a few tablespoons of olive oil, water or a mix of the two.
Using a Mortar and Pestle (Mehraz)
- Special note about lemon juice: For cold dishes such as salads, wait until cooked vegetables have cooled before adding more lemon juice or vinegar and a bit of extra virgin olive oil. This little touch brings them to a whole new level.
- Some recipes will require a chermoula without parsley and others will require a chermoula without lemon or vinegar (such as in the Moroccan kefta recipe).
- For a hot chermoula, add more cayenne (soudaniya) and harissa (or a chili paste) to taste.
- A Northern variation of chermoula includes thyme and black pepper and a good portion of flat leaf parsley.
- You could make a red chermoula by adding a roasted and peeled red pepper into the blend.
Calories: 634kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 57g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 2596mg | Potassium: 1293mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 12060IU | Vitamin C: 182.6mg | Calcium: 215mg | Iron: 12.7mg